One of the most stressful types of car accidents is a hit and run accident. A hit and run is when a driver hits another car, a person or property and fails to stop to exchange information. The person with the injury or damage is then left to deal with all the ensuing issues on their own.
There are a few things you can do to make the situation a little less stressful and to help ensure your claim for any injuries or damage is not denied.
- The number one thing to remember is to stay at the scene until the police arrive. If you leave you will be jeopardizing the evidence and your claim.
- Pay attention to your surroundings and what is going on. Try to get a plate number, the make and model of the car or any other information that may help the police locate and identify the other driver. Look around for witnesses also, who can corroborate your version of the accident.
- Move to safety if you are not already off the road and not in danger of having or causing further problems.
- Call the police as soon as possible so they can begin documenting the accident, talking to witnesses and calling for medical help.
- Take photographs with your phone also. The police investigator will take photos but since you are on the scene first, you may be able to capture things that they will miss. Accident scenes can change quickly, so the sooner you document the better off you’ll be.
- If medical emergency responders have arrived, allow them to check you, even if you don’t feel you’ve been injured. Sometimes injuries do not surface until the adrenalin from the stressful situation begins to subside. Then pain may set in. Be sure to see a doctor as soon as possible to keep your claim from being questioned.
- Call your insurance company as soon as you can also. There may be a lot going on but the sooner you call, the better your hit and run claim will be documented
Your car insurance company will likely cover a hit and run claim if you have uninsured motorist protection. There are two types, uninsured bodily injury to cover your medical expenses and uninsured property damage to cover your car repair expenses.
These are some of the steps to take to protect yourself when you’ve been the victim of a hit and run accident. And to make sure your claim will be paid, use the InsuranceWins quote form to get an auto insurance quote for uninsured motorist coverage.